Thursday, November 5, 2015

Road to Gumbo

On Friday October 16, 2015 my journey to Gumbo finally ended! After 8 days in Europe and 4 days in Nairobi, I was finally ready to go home (or what would eventually be my home for 1 to 2 years)!

My flight from Nairobi to Juba was quite the trip! What should have been a 2 hour flight ended up becoming a 6 hour ordeal! I guess instead of getting a 2 hour direct flight from Nairobi, my travel agent booked a cheap economy ticket with RwandAir, which went all over the place before hitting my destination, which was supposed to be 4 hours, but ended up being 6 hours due to a delay. I started my trip by leaving Don Bosco Boys Town in Nairobi right after mass at 8 am so that I could catch my 11am flight in Nairobi Kenyatta International Airport. From there, I took a one hour flight from Nairobi to Kigale in Rwanda, then stayed there for a one hour layover, which allowed me to board my next (40 minute) flight to Entebbe in Uganda only to wait in the aircraft for another 40 minutes, and finally take off for a 1 hour flight to Juba in South Sudan!

In Nairobi Kenyatta International airport, I arrived very early and was wondering why nobody was getting in line to enter the gate area (each gate has its own waiting room that could be entered by passing a second security check), everyone seemed to be huddled around the security check entrance and I was so confused. Finally a group of men who just got there, lined up to enter, I was so anxious, I decided to line up after them. I saw the security check point person tell them something, and the men turned around to leave. I asked them if they could tell me what the lady told them, and one of them said: "she told us to wait brother". As soon as I heard the word "brother", I looked up and saw a familiar face, then I looked down at his chest, and sure enough he was wearing a Salesian cross (Cross of Christ the Shepherd)! To my surprise, I was in the presence of six Salesian priests and brothers who happened to be at the meeting I witnessed in Nairobi the day before!

I got to talk to them about meeting them the day before, and how I was confused because I thought the meeting was going on for a few more days. They then replied by telling me that they were only there for the meeting of Salesian African formators that lasted a few days, and that there was another additional meeting for Salesian priests in the East Africa Province. I then asked where they were from, in which they replied that they were from Cameroon in the Central Africa Province, which is where they were headed but had to go through Kigale as well. Then they asked me what I was doing traveling, they explained that it looked as if I was part of the community in Nairobi, and that I seemed so comfortable, that it was assumed I was a volunteer there. Although flattered, I told them that I was actually in Nairobi for only four days and that I was only there enroute to Gumbo, South Sudan, where my real mission site was.

In talking to me, one of the priests excused himself and the group for their English because it is not their strong language. I was very surprised because their English was good, but I remembered that in Cameroon they speak French (as a former French colony). I explained to them that I understand because I too speak multiple languages. In which they found out I spoke Spanish and were so happy to talk to me because they were much more comfortable with Spanish (apparently the Salesians teach Spanish in Cameroon), and I had a great conversation with them! I particularly had a great conversation with Fr. Paul Tegue SDB who was explaining his site and the Salesian presence in Cameroon. We then boarded our flight, and flew to Kigale. I was very blessed to be on the same flight as those men, and was even more blessed to have talked to them. Who knew that I would be speaking Spanish to a Cameroonian priest in Nairobi, Kenya waiting for the same flight on our way to Kigale, Rwanda?! The world is full of surprises!

Me with Fr. Paul at Kigale International Airport in Rwanda when we landed from the same flight!
       
Rwanda Airport, was quite the struggle because the airport's inefficiency. What should have been a 1 hour layover ended up being a 3 hour wait due to delays. In Kigale International Airport, there is only one gate and a small window of opportunity to board passengers, I guess my flight crew missed that window of opportunity and I had to wait an additional 2 hours before getting another window of opportunity to quickly board us. Therefore, my 4 hour flight turned into a 6 hour flight, and I was delayed for 2 hours. The airport was also so strict to transit passengers, and I was not too happy with the airport's cold service.

I finally arrived in Juba! I was awaited by my site partner Michael and one of the resident priests of Gumbo's Salesian community. I was informed by Michael that I was in for a treat, and that we were going to eat at arestaurant in Juba. We immediately left the airport and met with the priest's friends who are part of an Austrian NGO (Non-Governmental Organization), one man was from Ireland and the other from Germany. We then went to the restaurant and had a great meal on the roof top enjoying eachother's company and the sunset! I then arrived to the community in Gumbo and was dropped off where I will be living. The current volunteers were just about done with dinner and were playing card games, so Michael and I joined them for a little while before it got late and it was time to call it a good night. I was shown my room, and I dropped off my bags and began to unpack. In the process of unpacking, I decided to plug in my phone, but to my surprise, the power went out when I did! So I had to open windows to cool down my room (because it was hot and no power meant no fan) and wait for the morning to take a shower. What a welcoming to South Sudan!

St. Vincent De Paul Parish church run by Salesians patiently awaited my arrival in Gumbo, South Sudan!

Over all it, was a pleasure and an honor to serve the people in Nairobi, but I am so glad to be home in Gumbo, South Sudan! I am so excited to be helping the people here! I also want to thank all my friends that have helped me or I have met through out my two week journey to get to Gumbo! I am finally here and I can't wait to tell you all about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment